As we continue to career towards Christmas, it must mean that panto season is upon us.
Oh no it isn’t!
Of course it is, now stop that. Anyway, this year the denizens of Bristol are being treated to the delights of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves at the Bristol Hippodrome, starring none other than the eponymous Willow, everyone’s favourite Ewok, Warwick Davis. Warwick is leading the septet of dwarves that keep Snow White out of trouble and ensure that she lives happily ever after.
This got us thinking – those seven fellows of diminutive stature could tell us a bit about what could be wrong with your email campaign. Take a look in the mirror, mirror on the wall and see who stares back.
• Are you Sneezy? Are you impolitely spraying your campaign out to all and sundry without really thinking where it is going? Have some manners! You need to pull out a tissue, cover your mouth and be more targeted (and considerate).
• What about Grumpy? Is your heart not in it? Are you sending a half-hearted or poorly thought out campaign - or worse still, no campaign at all? Why not whistle while you work for some positive vibes and get your message out there?
• Maybe you are Bashful. You have a great product or service, but you’re a bit shy. You don’t want to intrude, don’t want to be any trouble… actually don’t mind me, pretend I’m not here… Stop that right away! Don’t be scared to put yourself out there and shout about how you’re the fairest of them all.
• Feeling Sleepy? You’re observant, hard-working, logical and have great stuff to say, but all anyone ever hears is your snoring. Maybe you are a procrastinator, or – let’s be honest here – a bit lazy. Now’s the time to pull your finger out – heigh ho, heigh ho, it’s off to work you go…
• Things are looking up if you are Happy. You are regularly sending out positive, cheerful news. Keep it up! Happy people are sociable people, so you’re coordinating your email campaign with your social media campaign, right?
• What about Doc? Doc’s the leader of the dwarves, and encourages rational and organised behaviour. But he can be weak under pressure, needing the other dwarves (even Dopey) to rally round him when needed. Doc is smart enough to know that a good email campaign benefits from coordinated content marketing (Doc has pumped Sleepy full of espresso and got him on it) and social media (Happy is putting photos of Bashful on Instagram).
Let’s hope that your campaign doesn’t resemble some of the 40+ dwarf names that Disney rejected before settling on the final seven. If your campaign is Silly, Scrappy, Gloomy, Flabby, Cranky, Woeful, Slutty (yes, really) or just plain Awful, you probably need to speak to Winbox’s own Snow White, Marc Woodland.
Rumour has it, Marc doesn’t employ a cleaner at the Winbox office – his golden tonsils and cheerful whistle are enough to get the local rats, pigeons and squirrels to do his cleaning for him. It is not known whether Environmental Health have been informed.
Why not drop Marc a line at his nice clean office if you want to avoid your email campaign turning into a pantomime?